February 10, 2017
Fabulous Friday Flavours: Crispy Fried Shallots Cheese Puffs (Gougère)
Category: Fabulous Friday Flavours
What could go wrong with savoury pastry made of choux dough that’s mixed with cheese, crispy bits of fried shallots and chives all of which are baked in the oven?
Especially not with crispy outer shells with an eggy, cheesy and soft centre when you pull each of those puffs apart.
The crispy shallots is my add-on to a typical Gougère (French-style Puff Pastry) that gives the flavour a different twist. The inside is hollow and I like that despite all the cheeses used, the texture turns out to be very light.
Crispy Fried Shallots Cheese Puffs (Gougère)
Light, savoury and addictive balls of cheese puffs with a twist!
Write a review
- 3/4 cup water
- 80g butter
- Half tspn salt
- Half tspn freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup fried shallots, crushed
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- 125g x 2 mozzarella cheese, pulled apart
- Half cup + Half cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Half cup gouda cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius and line a baking tray with wax paper
- In a deep saucepan, melt butter and mix it with water, salt and ground black pepper
- Add flour and stir until it forms a shiny, sticky dough. Cook for a few minutes till all the dough come together (it will not stick to the side of the pan).
- Turn off the heat and let it cool
- When cooled, add egg one at a time. Stir each egg well till combined
- Add in the cheeses, fried shallots and chives. Mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough into a ball and place it on the wax paper. Repeat till all the dough is used up
- Sprinkle more grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 220 degree celsius for 10 minutes. The continue baking at about 180 degree celcius for another 10-15 minutes till the top turns golden brown.
- The use of fried shallots is optional and feel free to substitute chives with parsley instead.
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia
Grubbs n Critters https://grubbsncritters.com/
Hey Hey Super Mama!!!! I think it might come as a surprise to you but I have mentioned you & your awesome Blog for The Liebster Award. I just want you to know that you are one of the Bloggers here that I appreciate and I value what you are writing. Thank you as well for supporting me here.
If you want to check it , here’s the link of my post about it :https://wordpress.com/post/justbluedutch.wordpress.com/33631
P.S Even if you don’t accept the nomination, I still want you to know that your Blog is worthy to read, so keep on writing!
Of course I’ll accept the nomination, Christina. With open arms!! 😀
Thank you for thinking of me. x.
Awesome recipe. I will pin this one for sure 🌹
How wonderful! Thank you Esme for your support. Truly much appreciated! Wishing you a wonderful weekend. 🙂